Monday, April 9, 2012

The million dollar question


When Sushil Kumar won a million dollars on a TV game show in India some months ago, it was as if the entire country had hit the jackpot; as if the entire population was bound not merely by the ecstasy of winning but by a cord of positivity and a subtle feeling of middle class gratification. The vicarious pleasure of winning manifested itself in the form of hectic discussions - some enchanted by the simple, rustic manner of the country’s latest millionaire, some raving about the ways of lady luck, some others airing platitudes like how every man was worth his salt
and some green-eyed skeptics even suspecting game fixing.
So, what will you do if you had such a windfall? The husband asked as I watched the episode, goose bumps on my skin, tears in my eyes. I must confess it is a question that has struck my head several times, almost every time someone walked away with a hefty cheque, but every time, I felt so overwhelmed by the enormity of the question that I chose to laugh it off than find an answer. A million dollars!
Five Crore Indian Rupees! It was more intimidating than elating. Given my weak appetite for shocks and surprises, I may in all probability kick the bucket even before feeling the cheque with my fingers, leaving the fortune tragically orphaned and open to claims. And if I lived to tell the post windfall tale, my open mouth might just stay that way for the rest of my life. Either eventuality didn’t augur well for a happy, bouncy woman of my age.
Yet, the niggling question remained, and for my own appeasement I had to find an answer.
What if I really found myself in the hot seat and the moot question is thrown at me by the Big B? It would be a shame to look bemused and stutter out of unpreparedness than out of awe for the man with the baritone in front. I tried to recall answers given by past contestants, some of which remain etched in my memory for either their frivolity or for their poignance. The answers reflected personal priorities and gave insight into what essentially constituted the participants’ lives. I knew that the question carried connotations more profound than what it apparently revealed.
I remember how a young man of good means once wished to buy a BMW for his parents if he were to take home the big prize. A BMW might be a great idea to the young man, but I can guarantee it wouldn’t have amused many who watched the episode. Not in a country where farmers embrace death after incurring debts of a lakh or a little more Rupees. To the common man who lived on a meager income from small sources, the game show was a life changer. It was touching when people expressed their wish to win just enough to pay off their home loan or get a
sibling married or get their children into good schools. The modesty of their dreams and aspirations was inspiring.
So, what will you do with the million? The question stared in my face again. Lost for words,
I decided to use my lifeline this time. Phone a friend. I made a call to my all knowing friend who lived in the little log cabin of my consciousness. Here is a transcript of our conversation.
“Hi, I am back again. I am in the hot seat of this game show and I need help desperately.”
“I know. But I am not going to give you the answer. You will find it yourself. I can help you find it, though.”
“All right.”
“Do you live well?”
“Yes, fairly well.”
“Do you own a house?”
“Yes.”
“Car?”
“Yes.”
“Are you sitting on a mountain of debts?”
“No.”
“Do you have enough to share?”
“Yes.”
“Are you putting away enough for the justified needs of old age?”
“I guess so.”
“Children?”
“None.”
“Other commitments?”
“Nothing presently.”
“Pleased with your life?”
“Yes.”
“Then what on earth do you need a million dollars for?”
Time out, the ticker stopped and the connection snapped.
Entranced by what had just transpired, I whispered, “Thank you.”

No comments: