Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Remembering India's Bhagya Vidaatha

After the panic and paranoia posts, it’s time for some patriotism.
Considering we are four days past the Indian Independence day, I might be a bit behind date to post something related to national sentiments, but since I am not going to get hoarse with jingoistic cries that are common flavours of the season, I believe it isn’t misplaced or irrelevant to let a few thoughts flow.
It is a thought that emerged as I listened to our national anthem on TV on the 15th of August that just went by. It wasn’t the first time I was hearing it, it wasn’t even the first time I was moved by it, but it was the first time that a thought occurred - How many of us really understand our national anthem? How many truly get emotional upon hearing it? How many really know its history and background?
I remember my school days where at the end of our morning assembly the national anthem was played over an aging, croaking speaker and we stood in attention only because the teacher behind us was keeping a watchful eye on us. The anthem barely meant anything to us. We sang along, the lyrics mostly wrong and mispronounced, and waited for the Jai hey, so that we could scoot out of the heat to our classes. The tune, that now brings a rapt expression on my face every time I hear it, sounded so harsh in those days owing to the faulty record. The school never thought of replacing it and it played on, day after day, inspiring nothing in us except boredom and a few girlish giggles when the voices stretched and strayed. It made us wonder why on earth we were put through the ordeal of listening to it everyday. But we asked no one and no one ever explained why that strain of music was so important to us.
I don’t remember when the national anthem permeated my soul and became an exclusive rendering of national sentiment that made my eyes moist every time I heard it. Whether played as a vocal rendition or an instrumental melody, it now makes me close my eyes and lend myself to its soothing strains and I experience 52 seconds of absolute peace. It is the most exquisite piece of music that I have ever heard.
Although I had read and known the meaning of those lines sometime long after the school assembly days, last week as I heard it again on TV, I felt the urge to know our anthem all over again. I felt I owed it to my country, to my love of it despite its deficiencies and to the genius of the poet who gave us this gem of a lyric.
Thanks to the internet, the same day I read about its history, the numerous controversies surrounding it, the allegation that it was written in praise of the British King and then the poet’s own disclosure that it was actually a pronouncement of victory to India’s God of Destiny.
For those still suffering from colonial hang over it is probably a matter of contention. But it doesn’t bother me what it could have meant at that point of time - a eulogy to a monarch or an invocation to God for our motherland. I believe that in today’s context, if taken to heart, it can arouse a deep, collective feeling for a nation that is desperate for its citizens’ genuine love, dedication and prayers.
For the benefit of those who don’t have the patience or time to google it up, here is what our national anthem means. Remember it the next time you hear it and feel the tug at your heart strings. If it stirs up a sentiment, India can smile, for there is still hope. If it doesn't, God save our mother land.

O! Dispenser of India's destiny, thou art the ruler of the minds of all people
Thy name rouses the hearts of Punjab, Sindh, Gujarat, the Maratha country,in the Dravida, Utkala and Bengal;
It echoes in the hills of the Vindhyas and Himalayas,it mingles in the rhapsodies of the pure waters of Yamuna and Ganga
They chant only thy name.
They seek only thy auspicious blessings.They sing only the glory of thy victory.
The salvation of all people waits in thy hands,
O! Dispenser of India's destiny, thou art the ruler of the minds of all people
Victory to thee, Victory to thee, Victory to thee,Victory, Victory, Victory, Victory to theeee!

No comments: